~ 17 May 2012, 20:06
After 1½ years of laziness, I'm finally able to release a new version of the AGG - 0.3.0 :)
- Unicode support. You can use any language you want (for file names, gallery titles, title pictures, or whatnot);
- Because of that: the interface language can be changed to other than English. However, no translations are currently available - I only added a test Bulgarian translation, in order to check if everything works out (AGG in BG). If anyone wants to contribute a translation (about 400 lines tops), please don't hesitate to contact me for details. Volunteers will be immortalized in the translations page :)
- Batch transfer Exif tool
- Auto-save option
- Gamma-aware resizing. You can select this option in order to have absolutely precise resizing, performed in linear RGB, instead of the gamma-compressed sRGB (the differences are outlined here).
- Better Exif statistics page (compare: 0.2.5 vs. 0.3.0).
- Improved HTMLs (size issues) and related bugfixes.
- There was a bug in the resizer, whereby images having large white areas (overexposed skies, for example) would have artifacts in the 100% white areas of the results. The artifacts are of the form of an irregular grid of (254, 254, 254) pixels (not very easy to detect, I'm only seeing this issue on one out of ten monitors - which is also why I caught it just now).
- Using Exiv2 instead of libexif for reading Exif metadata (it decodes somewhat more tags, especially vendor-specific ones).
- And a whole lot of other small improvements. The new version should display "Version 0.3.0 β Official" in Help->About.
The controversy with the russian guy, who cloned AGG (as I wrote earlier) resolved very amicably: he agreed with my cease-and-desist letter, and introduced notes all over the place, which mark his software as an AGG derivative. Also, he offers the source code upon request (and he sent it to me, when I requested).
This was a triumph! Another victory for the open-source movement!