More...

Time is an illusion. Compile time - doubly so.

Posts from: April '10


Bug in WinRAR password input, or...?

Two or three weeks ago I stumbled upon a strange (yet rare) bug in WinRAR's password handling implementation. I abused WinRAR by giving it a password in cyrillic letters (the bug doesn't appear if you use the usual ASCII 7-bit set). The whole experience boils down to the old saying: "Just because a program is written by a patriotic russian guy doesn't mean it is unicode-safe" :)

So, let me get slightly into the details... did you know, that you could use non-ASCII characters for archive passwords in WinRAR? Well, I didn't know either, and so I went to find out. This was along the polishing touches on my RAR password cracker (which I recently sped up by 10-20%, etc.). I started with WinRAR and created a test archive, using the word «България» as the password. WinRAR happily accepted the password and created the archive. On decryption, it also happily accepted the same password (and rejected some random other one). The console-mode utility for win32 also seemed to work under cmd.exe window.

Step 2: I transferred my test RAR to the Linux box, where this time it didn't decrypt (it said my password is wrong). That was strange — initially I thought that the `unrar' utility author had made some implementation mistake in the unicode string handling. However, after a bit of debugging, it turned out that this was not the issue, as my Fedora 11 terminal was passing the utf-8 string correctly and all the underlying machinery worked flawlessly. Actually, the console `unrar' utility seemed to perform the right job! So, after a bit tinkering with the Win CLI again, I noticed, that whenever I typed some cyrillic characters in the terminal, question marks appeared instead. So, in cmd.exe, "България" would equal "????????". When testing the latter "password" (the eight question marks), the archive decrypted successfully.

The cause of this strange behaviour turned out to be hidden in Control Panel->Regional and Language Options->"Language for Non-unicode programs". When I set it to "Bulgarian", both programs (WinRAR and the CLI `rar') behaved correctly, with "България" being no more equal to "????????".

So you may have probably guessed what the bug is? Well, consider the case with a clueless dude, sitting in front of a all-default-setup Windows computer (where the aforementioned Windows setting is not "Bulgarian"). So, the dude creates an archive, and puts up the hyper-strong password "ХакерЩрасе". But in reality, the password he actually sets for the archive turns out to be the trivially-breakable "??????????"!

Ironically, it is evident from the unrar utility's source code, that the author (who is russian btw) has tried hard to support non-ASCII characters... but his program turns out not to be unicode-safe anyway.
The bogus interpretation of cyrillic symbols as question marks hints us to a subtler problem with WinRAR's security: the password input dialog should detect such "patently weak" passwords and (at least) warn the user, so he or she can consider using a stronger password. This way, hidden implementation problems like the one I mentioned will be detected as a simple side-effect.


Posted in category Interesting -- clock 22 Apr 2010, 03:02, 0 comments


thought

Beat detection

Not long ago, I was pondering if there's some useful way to exploit my memory-load sensor of the EpoX 9NPA+ Motherboard I use at home. For those of you which haven't heard about it - this sensor shows you the memory load/traffic in real-time. So, in idle, it blinks very slightly, but when you run any memory-intensive benchmark, it gets quite bright.
A week ago (just as I was listening to «Moloko - Sing it back»), I came up with a nifty way to abuse this sensor: to visualize the beats of some song. Here is it in action:

Image

YouTube - Beat visualization on Epox 9NPA+

Local copy (H.264 750 kbps)

I wrote a visualization plugin for XMMS, which uses a simple beat-detection algorithm, and, when a hit is detected, it blinks the sensor. The blinking is inflicted using a large number of memcpy() operations inside a 64 MB array :) The algorithm is right now only sensitive to bass beats (this is the reason it doesn't detect the snare drums, as visible on the second song in the video).


Posted in category Technology -- clock 19 Apr 2010, 11:07, 0 comments

Language:

bgБългарски
enEnglish


Categories:

Meta
Hardware
Technology
Fun
Open source
Interesting
Hiking/Trips
Stuff
Programming
Music
Images
Photography
All


Archive:

+ 2008 (9)
March '08 (2)
April '08 (2)
May '08 (2)
October '08 (1)
December '08 (2)
+ 2009 (8)
January '09 (2)
March '09 (1)
August '09 (2)
September '09 (1)
November '09 (1)
December '09 (1)
+ 2010 (9)
January '10 (1)
April '10 (2)
June '10 (1)
July '10 (1)
September '10 (1)
November '10 (1)
December '10 (2)
+ 2011 (10)
January '11 (3)
February '11 (1)
August '11 (2)
September '11 (2)
October '11 (2)
+ 2012 (14)
January '12 (3)
March '12 (1)
April '12 (2)
May '12 (3)
August '12 (1)
September '12 (1)
November '12 (1)
December '12 (2)
+ 2013 (1)
March '13 (1)
+ 2014 (3)
September '14 (3)
+ 2015 (5)
January '15 (1)
March '15 (3)
May '15 (1)
+ 2016 (4)
June '16 (1)
July '16 (1)
November '16 (1)
December '16 (1)


Last comments:

30 May 2017, 02:02 by anrieff
26 May 2017, 01:00 by Mathew
30 Mar 2017, 13:59 by antfarmer
26 Dec 2016, 17:52 by Private
19 Dec 2016, 23:01 by ицаци
16 Dec 2016, 19:50 by Антон


Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict

Blogroll:

linkJoel on Software
linkRidiculous Fish
linkXKCD blag